For 5-year license renewal, Minnesota requires the completion of 125 hours of professional development that have been approved through the local school district’s continuing education committee. As part of the 125 professional development hours, the Minnesota Legislature, by statute, currently requires all teachers to evidence the six areas below:
- Positive behavior intervention strategies
- Accommodation, modification, and adaptation of curriculum, materials, and instruction
- Early-onset mental illness in children and adolescents
- (except the following licensure fields are exempt from evidencing the reading preparation renewal requirement: school counselors, school psychologists, school nurses, school social workers, audiovisual directors and coordinators, recreation personnel).
- Licensed school personnel who do not provide direct instruction to students, including, at least, counselors, school psychologists, school nurses, and school social workers are exempt from this requirement.
- Support for student learning
- Use of best practices techniques and their applications to student learning
- Collaborative work with colleagues that includes examples of collegiality (i.e., attested-to committee work, collaborative staff development programs, professional learning community work)
- Continual professional development (i.e., job-embedded or other ongoing formal professional learning, including coursework)" (MDE)
For most of you that are working in a school district, your district professional development plan will provide these opportunities for you. Some of you that have worked in several districts, are subs, or have taken some time off in your teaching, you might have to participate in additional professional development opportunities. There are occasional "Save Your License Saturdays" offered with a series of workshops on the above topics for those of you in need of these credits. But for the majority of you, you will be able to meet these requirements through your district offerings.
Once you've met these requirements, you're ready to apply for your license renewal. You can do this through the MDE website, where you might have to set up your account. Then you're all set to renew your license!